A public caning for an entitled American

 A public caning for an entitled American

Story by Lisa and Tx-StateTrooper

The Gulfstream’s cabin door yawns open and the heat hits me first—wet, thick, like breathing through a damp towel. My heels click against the metal stairs as I descend, each step a small declaration of arrival. The tarmac shimmers. Behind me, my pilot secures the hatch. Ahead, a concrete terminal that looks more like a military checkpoint than an airport.


“Welcome to Nusara, Ms. Ashford.” The customs officer’s smile is practiced, his uniform crisp despite the humidity. “We’ll have your bags unloaded momentarily.”


I don’t bother returning the smile. “See that they’re careful with the Vuitton. The trunk has reinforced corners.”


He blinks. Nods. Turns away.


The terminal’s air conditioning is a relief, but the lobby is all fluorescent glare and scuffed tile. My heels announce me across the floor. Behind the counter, three officers watch my approach with the flat attention of men who’ve seen every trick.


“Ms. Ashford?” The woman behind the desk has silver-framed glasses and hair pulled so tight it stretches her temples. “I’m afraid you’ll need to accompany my colleague to customs processing.”


“I’ve already cleared customs.” My voice carries. Let them hear. “My paperwork was submitted in advance. I have diplomatic clearance through my company’s trade agreement.”


“This is standard procedure for all private arrivals.” Her smile doesn’t reach her eyes. “It will take just a moment.”


The colleague is younger, with nervous hands and a clipboard he keeps checking as if it might change. He leads me to a side room. Glass walls. Curtains that don’t quite close. A metal table bolted to the floor.


“Your handbag, please.”


“Excuse me?”


“Your handbag.” He holds out his hand. “Standard inspection.”


I could fight. I have lawyers. I have connections. But fighting here means delays, and delays mean missing my meeting with the Minister of Commerce. So I unclip the clasp and set my bag on the table with more force than necessary. “Be quick about it.”


He’s thorough. Too thorough. Fingers sliding along seams, opening every compartment, checking the lining. My compact mirror. My lipstick. My travel documents, each one examined under a light.


Then his fingers close around the flask.


It’s silver. Ornate. A gift from a business associate who didn’t know how to read a room. It holds four ounces of single malt, and I forgot it was even in there.


He holds it up. “Ms. Ashford. Do you know what this is?”


“It’s a flask.” I keep my voice level. “And it’s empty.”


He unscrews the cap and tilts it. A brown liquid poured from its opening. .


“It is not empty.”


“There is hardly any in there.” I step closer. “Look, I’m sure we can resolve this without theatrics. I have a meeting with the Minister in two hours. If you’ll just—”


“You are aware that Nusara maintains a strict prohibition on alcohol?”


“I’m aware your country has outdated laws that don’t consider—”


“Ma’am.” His voice hardens. “Please step away from the table.”


The next forty minutes are a blur of forms and phone calls and men in uniforms who don’t look at me when they speak. They take my fingerprints. My photograph. My handbag, logged into evidence. They give me a phone call which I use to wake my legal team in three different time zones.


“Get me out of this,” I hiss into the receiver. “I don’t care what it costs.”


“Catharine.” That’s Marcus, my chief counsel. His voice is already tired. “This isn’t Singapore. Nusara’s laws carry mandatory sentencing for alcohol possession. The minimum is thirty days or—”


“Or what?”


“Public corporal punishment. Twenty strokes. It’s on the books but rarely enforced.”


I laugh. It comes out sharp. “Then they won’t enforce it on me. I’m not some tourist who didn’t read the pamphlet. I’m Catharine Ashford. I sat with their President at the climate summit. I funded half the infrastructure projects in their northern province.”


“Catharine.”


“Get me out, Marcus. I don’t care how.”


But Marcus doesn’t get me out. Instead, I stand before a judge in a room that smells like mildew and old paper. The judge is old, his face a map of wrinkles, his eyes the color of river stones. He reads the charges without emotion.


“Catharine Ashford, you are charged with possession of a controlled substance in violation of Section 47 of the Nusaran Penal Code. How do you plead?”


“I plead that this is ridiculous.” My voice bounces off the concrete walls. “I’m a foreign dignitary. I have diplomatic status. I demand to speak with the Minister.”


“You have no diplomatic status,” the judge says. “Your company’s trade agreement provides expedited processing, not immunity. You are subject to our laws, Ms. Ashford. The same as any other visitor.”


“Then let me pay the fine.”


“There is no fine for this offense.”


The word lands like a stone in still water. “Then what? You’re going to put me in prison? For a flask with a sip of whiskey?”


“The sentence for this offense is twenty strokes of the cane, administered publicly, followed by two hours of public display.”


I stare at him. “You’re joking.”


His expression doesn’t change.


“I am the CEO of Ashford Global. I have fifteen thousand employees. I have a net worth of—”


“Your wealth does not exempt you. Your status does not exempt you. The law applies equally to all who enter Nusara.” He sets down his glasses. “The sentence will be carried out tomorrow at dawn in the town square. You will be held here until then.”


Tomorrow at dawn.


The holding cell is clean. That almost makes it worse. A cot with a thin mattress. A sink that drips. A toilet without a seat. I don’t sleep. I pace the length of the cell—seven strides one way, seven strides back—and I think about every call I should have made, every favor I should have called in, every person I should have bribed.


They give me a meal at some point. Rice and vegetables. I don’t touch it.


The hours crawl. Then they sprint.


At 4 AM, the guard arrives. Two of them. Women, I notice. Both in crisp uniforms, both with wooden faces that reveal nothing.


“Time to prepare, Ms. Ashford.”


“I want my lawyer.”


“Your lawyer will be present at the square.”


They take me to a shower room. Cold water. Industrial soap that smells like bleach. They give me a white cotton shirt that reaches mid-thigh. No underwear. No shoes.


“This is degrading.”


No response.


They walk me through a corridor and into the back of a van. The windows are blacked out. I can’t see where we’re going. But I feel every bump, every turn. The engine hums. The guards watch me in silence.


The van stops. The doors open.


Dawn is just breaking, the sky a bruised purple along the horizon. The square is already full. Hundreds of people. Maybe thousands. They line the perimeter, held back by barriers and uniformed officers. Their faces are expectant. Hungry.


They’ve come to watch.


Between two stone pillars stands a frame. Wooden. A crossbar at shoulder height. Chains hanging from the ends.


I stop walking.


“Keep moving, Ms. Ashford.”


“I can’t.”


“You can.” The guard’s hand presses against my back. “You will.”


They walk me to the frame. The crowd murmurs, a sound like wind through leaves. Someone shouts something in the local dialect. Another voice picks it up. Soon there’s a rhythm, a chant I don’t understand but feel in my chest.


The guard speaks to me. Calm. Professional. “When I say so, remove the shirt and face the frame. Place your hands in the cuffs. Do not resist.”


My hands are shaking. I can’t make them stop.


“Now.”


The shirt falls. The air hits my skin and I feel every pore, every nerve ending, every inch of exposed flesh. I’m naked in front of hundreds of strangers. My breasts. My stomach. The curve of my hips. All of it on display.


The crowd’s murmur becomes a roar.


I step toward the frame. The wood is rough against my palms. I raise my arms and the guard secures the cuffs around my wrists. Leather-lined metal. They hold my hands at shoulder height, slightly apart, so my back is exposed and my body is open, visible from every angle.


The crossbar is at the right height. I have to bend forward, just slightly. My back arches. My bottom rises. I’m presented like an offering.


“The sentence,” a voice announces, amplified by a speaker, “is twenty strokes of the cane, to be administered in accordance with Nusaran law. Each stroke will be counted. The sentence will be carried out in full.”


The crowd cheers.


I close my eyes. I hear footsteps. The whisper of the cane through the air.


The first stroke lands like lightning.


It splits the air, then splits my skin. A line of fire from the crest of my bottom down to the crease of my thighs. The pain doesn’t register as pain at first—it registers as sound, a high-pitched ringing in my ears, and then as heat, a stripe of molten iron laid across my flesh.


I scream.


Not a cry. A full-throated, animal scream that tears out of my throat without permission. My body convulses. The chains rattle. My fingers curl into fists.


“One,” the voice counts. The crowd roars its approval.


I don’t have time to breathe before the second stroke falls.


This one lands lower. Across the widest part of my bottom. The skin there is softer, the flesh more giving. The cane bites deep, and the burn feels like it created a huge welt. .


I scream again. My legs buckle but the frame holds me up.


“Two.”


They’re spaced. They’re deliberate. I realize with a clarity that cuts through the haze that the executioner knows exactly what he’s doing. Each stroke lands on virgin skin. He’s mapping my body with fire.


The third stroke crosses one buttock. The fourth, the other. The fifth lands across both, a horizontal line that connects the previous stripes. I count through the haze, through the tears, through the sounds that keep escaping my lips.


Seven. A stroke that wraps around to my hip.


Eight. Just above the back of my knee.


Nine. Across the same spot as the first, and I feel the wound reopen.


By ten, I’m crying openly. The tears stream down my face and drip onto the stones below. I’m not proud. I’m not defiant. I’m just a body on a frame, receiving punishment.


The crowd cheers each stroke. They chant the numbers with the official. They clap. They whistle. Somewhere in the front row, a woman is laughing. Not cruel laughter. Joyful. Like this is entertainment.


Because it is. To them, I’m entertainment.


I’m a rich woman stripped bare, brought low, made flesh. They’ll tell stories about this. They’ll remember watching me break.


“Twelve.”


My legs are shaking. The muscles in my thighs burn from holding myself up. My wrists ache. My back is on fire. I can feel the stripes swelling, merging, creating a landscape of pain across my skin.


“Thirteen.”


This one lands on the crest of my bottom, right where the curve meets the small of my back. A tender spot. I feel it in my teeth. In my clenched jaw. In the sound that comes out of me, half sob, half howl.


“Fourteen.”


My body is betraying me. The shaking is worse. My vision blurs with tears and sweat. I can taste salt on my lips. I don’t know if I can survive six more. I don’t know if I want to.


“Fifteen.”


The scream leaves my throat and my whole body bounces up and down causing my breast to bounce, making the crowd cheer especially loud. I wonder how many men are erect with this and how many babies will be born 9 months from today. 


The executioner pauses. I hear him breathe. The crowd quiets, sensing something. Then he speaks, and his voice is calm, almost kind.


“You are doing well, Ms. Ashford. Five remain.”


He thinks I’m doing well. He thinks the shaking, the crying, the screaming—he thinks that’s doing well.


“Sixteen.”


This one is harder. He puts something extra into it. The cane whistles before it lands, and when it lands, I feel it in my bones. A crack that echoes..


My screams have no shape anymore. They’re just noise. Raw. Unformed.


“Seventeen.”


My mind is drifting. I think about my boardroom. I think about the glass walls of my office. I think about the people who work for me, the deals I’ve made, the lives I’ve changed. I think about how none of that matters here. How none of that protects me from this.


“Eighteen.”


I am Catharine Ashford. The thought rises through the pain. I am not this body. I am not this pain. I am the woman who built an empire from nothing.


“Nineteen.”


The empire doesn’t help. The money doesn’t help. The power doesn’t help. I am just flesh and nerve and bone, and the cane finds every one of them.


“Twenty.”


The last stroke is the worst. Because he takes his time. Because the crowd goes silent. Because I’m waiting, counting the seconds, knowing it’s coming, knowing I can’t stop it.


The cane swings.


It lands dead center, across all the previous stripes, and my body doesn’t know how to process the pain. It overwhelms every system. I feel a moment of clarity—sharp, bright, terrifying—and then nothing. The world goes white. The sound goes away.


I come to with the chains holding me up. The guard is speaking to me. Her voice is distant, like she’s underwater.


“Ms. Ashford. The punishment is complete. You will now be displayed for two hours.”


Displayed.


I can’t move. I can’t speak. I hang from the frame, naked, sweating, exposed to the crowd that has begun to disperse. Some linger. They take pictures with their phones. They point. They whisper.


This is me. The thought is hollow. This is what I am now.


The sun rises. It climbs higher, and the heat beats down on my damaged skin. The sweat stings. The blood dries. The minutes crawl.


I try to hold onto my dignity. I try to remember who I was before this. But the frame doesn’t care. The sun doesn’t care. The remaining crowd doesn’t care.


I am Catharine Ashford. I try to make the name mean something. I am not this.


But I am this. For two hours, I am nothing but this.


Guards stand on either side. They hold positions. They don’t talk to me. They don’t acknowledge me as a person. I’m an object now. A warning. A spectacle.


The tourists take their pictures. The locals murmur among themselves. A child points at me and asks a question I can’t hear. Her mother pulls her away.


Two hours is a lifetime.


But the sun keeps moving. The shadows shift. And eventually, a guard steps forward and unlocks the cuffs.


My arms fall. I can’t lift them. They hang at my sides like dead weight.


A blanket is draped over my shoulders. It’s rough wool. It scrapes against my wounds. But it covers me.


“This way, Ms. Ashford.”


They lead me to a medical room. A woman cleans my wounds. They’re not as bad as they feel. Mostly surface. Some deeper cuts. The worst is the bruising—a solid mass of purple and black across my entire backside.


“You will heal,” the medic says. “In time.”


Time. I don’t know what time means anymore.


They dress me in loose cotton pants and a shirt that doesn’t touch my back. They give me water. They tell me I’m being escorted to the airport. I’ll be put on my plane and sent home. No further charges. The matter is concluded.


I don’t speak. I can’t. My voice is gone.


The ride to the airport is silent. The guards sit on either side. They don’t look at me. I don’t look at them.


The plane is waiting. The pilot helps me up the stairs, his hands gentle, his eyes carefully averted. The cabin is cool. The leather seats are too hard to sit on, so I stand in the aisle, gripping the overhead compartment.


“Ms. Ashford.” The pilot’s voice is careful. “We’ve been cleared for takeoff. We’ll be in the air in ten minutes.”


“Thank you.”


The words feel foreign. I hear my own voice as if from a distance.


We lift off. The ground falls away. Nusara shrinks to a green stain against the blue.


I stand for the entire flight.


Comments

  1. Single Guy

    The entire world could benefit from Having an Accountability spanking

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts